Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Picked Up a Book Today

I’ve taken the opportunity while sick to catch up on some reading. I’ve been reading several different books but I chose to pick up Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders today. My dad read it a while ago and has been trying to get me to read it for some time now; he says it will change my life.

I came across a passage in the book that I found to be truly profound. “True Leaders must be willing to suffer for the sake of objectives great enough to demand their wholehearted obedience.” Wholehearted obedience, what a concept, that means obeying with every portion of your mind, heart, will, and body. I generally obey God, but I don’t always want to. Sometimes it is simply because I know what the right thing to do is and I am doing it to be pleasing to Him. That is NOT wholehearted obedience.

So I began to wonder, ‘how can I wholeheartedly obey?’ This is a question that I haven’t quite found an absolute answer to yet. I know that by searching out God’s character more I will be more likely to follow His word without the thoughts of ‘man I really wish that I didn’t have to do this’. But it seems harder getting there than just that.

A quote from a little later in the book say, “People travel together; no one lives detached and alone.” So I am asking you all for your insight, I don’t want to walk alone. Help me out. What makes it easier for you to wholeheartedly obey?

There is more to come from this book as I get a chance to read and ponder it.

1 comment:

Taylor Hale said...

You should think about double-checking that last sentence... her's a hint: add the word 'more' somewhere in there.

Love you!!

T